Thank you for your interest in the 43rd Annual Ocean Beach Street Fair & Chili Cook-off on June 24, 2023. Each year approximately 50,000 people come out to enjoy this event which is a family-oriented experience, filling six square blocks with vendors selling arts, crafts, merchandise, food, and activities.
PLEASE NOTE: Many changes have been made to this event including but not limited to the layout. These changes have been made due to the City of San Diego’s updated Fire Marshall Requirements and the Spaces as Places program which allows eateries to utilize parking spaces. Because of the updated layout past vendors will not be guaranteed a specific location, and no space requests can be taken at this time to ensure the Fair is a success and safe for all vendors and patrons.
Fair Policies & Procedures
Please read the following information carefully before completing the application, to ensure you meet the requirements and agreed to our event’s policies and procedures.
Application Process & Assignment
- Your booth is not reserved until full payment is made via a credit card online.
- Your booth is not reserved until all required documents are received.
- Each booth type requires specific documents.
- Fair organizers maintain the right to review applications and decline Vendors that are not fitting for the Fair and/or modify the vendor category.
- Non-profit and civic groups are limited in the number and selected by the Fair organizers; not first come, first serve.
- Fair organizers maintain the right to limit the number of vendors for any particular type of goods/services.
- Booth location is assigned by the Fair organizers. No space requests will be taken at this time to ensure the Fair is a success and safe for all vendors and patrons.
- Booth location and instructions will be sent to Vendors via email on June 20, 2023.
Vendor Booth Set-Up, Operation & Breakdown
All City of San Diego and County of San Diego regulations, including but not limited to, safety regulations, fire marshal regulations, storm water policies, and health department regulations must always be observed.
Set-Up & Unloading
- Vendors may enter the Fair to set-up between 6:00am and 8:00am.
- Vendors will not be permitted to enter the Fair footprint with a vehicle after 8:00am.
- All vehicles must be out of the Fair footprint by 8:30am. No exceptions.
- Vendors may park one vehicle directly in front of their assigned booth space for up to 30 minutes to unload. Vehicles cannot be left unattended for any amount of time.
- Vendor must promptly move their vehicle once it’s been unloaded. Please move your vehicle before you begin to set-up your booth space.
Booth Equipment & Operations
- Vendor space is just that, only a space.
- Vendors must provide ALL their equipment, including but not limited to canopies, tables, and chairs, etc.
- ALL Vendor property must be stored in the booth space. No storage is permitted outside the Vendor booth space.
- Vendors are REQUIRED to have their own trash and recycling receptacles in their booth space. Each receptacle MUST be labeled. Vendors are not permitted to throw their trash in common-use trash receptacles or recycling containers.
- Whisper-quiet generators may be used if they are included in your vendor application, heavy-duty electrical cords are required and must be covered, and the generator must be placed within your booth footprint. Generators may never be put on the sidewalk.
- Signage and tarps must be no more than 12 feet high.
- Fair organizers maintain to have a sign and/or tarp removed if is deemed unsafe or a detriment to the Fair in any way.
- The Fair DOES NOT provide electricity or water.
- NO items are permitted outside of your allotted space. Items in violation will be removed and not be returned.
Vendor Departure Instructions
- Departure instructions will be provided to Vendors between 5 pm - 7 pm on the Fair date.
Vendor Space Cleanup + Trash & Recycling Removal
- The vendor is responsible for the cleanup of their space.
- All trash and recycling MUST be removed from your booth space.
- Trash and recycling may be disposed of at a designated dumpster, which will be provided with your vendor departure instructions.
Breakdown & Departure
- No sales after 8:00 pm.
- No early departures are permitted.
- Vehicles will be permitted to enter the Fair footprint after 8:00pm to load.
- Vendors must adhere to directions from Fair organizers, Fair Security, and SDPD traffic to ensure the safety of all vendors and patrons.
Product Specifications & Restrictions
The Fair organizers Ocean Beach MainStreet Association and /or the Ocean Beach Street Fair Committee shall be the sole judge as to whether an item is suitable to sell at the Fair.
ALL merchandise must be stored inside the allotted space.
Please note the following are not permitted:
- Merchandise with the words “OB Street Fair & Chili Cook-Off” or any other variation thereof.
- Animal rides and /or sale of animals.
- Drugs, alcoholic beverages, weapons, or explosives.
- Stolen merchandise.
- No materials that are unsuitable for fair attendees.
County of San Diego regulations, including but not limited to, safety regulations, fire marshal regulations, stormwater policies, and health department regulations.
TFF Vendor Permit
- A TFF Vendor permit is valid for a single food booth only. Separate permits are required for each booth.
- A single-event TFF permit is valid for 1-4 consecutive days
- An annual TFF vendor permit is valid throughout the year for approved events.
- Click here to apply for a TFF Vendor permit.
- A copy of your TFF Vendor permit MUST be emailed to Tracy Wagner at [email protected] by April 1, 2023. If your TFF permit is not received in a timely manner, your booth space will be released and a refund issued minus a $50 administration fee.
- A hard copy of your TFF Vendor permit must be posted in your booth for the entire duration of the Fair.
Contact San Diego County Health Department at (858) 505-6690.
Temporary Food Facility Vendor Self-Inspection Checklist
- Fair organizers require all food vendors to complete the County of San Diego’s Temporary Food Facility Vendor Self-Inspection Checklist by 9:00 am, prior to the Health Department inspection. Click here to download the checklist.
- Fair organizers must be informed if you plan to use a whisper-quiet generator. Food booths with generators will be strategically placed to ensure the enjoyment and safety of all Vendors and patrons.
Vending Cooking and Grease Management
- All cooking equipment must be within the allotted booth space.
- Cooking grease and coals must be properly cooled, then taken with you, and properly disposed of at an acceptable facility.
Storm Water Policy
Fair organizers require all food vendors to understand and adhere to San Diego Municipal Code 43.0301, which makes it illegal to pollute storm drains.
- Only rainwater is allowed down storm drains.
- Vendors must depose of all pollutants such as ice, grease, trash, dirt, unfinished beverages, and any other type of trash in the proper manner.
Reminder – It does not matter if it’s “just water”. If it is not rainwater, it is not allowed in the storm drain. No exceptions-ever.
Spill Kit Requirement
Food Vendors must have a spill kit available in their booth that comprises of materials effective in capturing and collecting potential leads or spills. Such as but not limited to, paper towels, cloth towels, kitty litter, and/or sand.
- There are several paid parking lots that will be available for public parking. The most centrally located lot is the CVS lot managed by Diamond parking located at the corner of Santa Monica Avenue and Cable Street. Parking fees are not waived for Vendors.
- Vendor Parking Passes are not currently available.
- Vendors must provide proof of general liability insurance.
- Please upload your general liability ACORD certificate to this application.
- If you do not have your ACORD certificate available while completing the application, please email a copy to Tracy Wagner at [email protected] by April 1, 2023. If your proof of general liability insurance is not received in a timely manner, your booth space will be released and a refund issued minus a $50 administration fee.
Cancellation & Refund Policy
Please read carefully as these policies will be strictly followed:
Full refunds ARE NOT OFFERED FOR THIS FAIR.
The cancellation deadline to receive a refund is as follows:
- 75% Refund – you must submit your cancellation/partial refund request ninety (90) days before the Fair.
- 50% Refund – you must submit your cancellation/partial refund request eighty-nine (89) days before the Fair.
- Cancellation requests received fifty-nine (59) days prior to the Fair date or later will NOT be eligible for a refund for any reason.
Refunds will not be available for registrants who choose not to attend the Fair. Cancellations will only be accepted in writing and must be received by the above-stated cancellation deadlines.
A cancellation letter may be emailed to Tracy Wagner at [email protected] or mailed to OBMA at 1868 Bacon Street, Suite A, San Diego, CA 92107.
Select Vendor Type
Please complete the application which best describes what you will sell at the event.