Greetings Small Businesses! Please see updated information below:
For those proposing Parking Lot Uses on Private Property:
- No further action is required from you. Continue to operate per State, County, and City of San Diego guidelines.
- If you propose 50 or more occupants enclosed by a fence or barrier – you must obtain Fire Department Approval.
- If you propose a Temporary Membrane Structure (Tent) of 400 square feet or larger – you must obtain Fire Department Approval.
- Links for Fire Department Approval can be found here: https://www.sandiego.gov/tob
For those proposing Sidewalk Cafes and/or Sidewalk Retail within a Participating Business Improvement District (BID):
- Continue to work with your BID for processing.
- When proposing Sidewalk Café/Retail Only - You have the option to process through Development Services.
- When proposing Sidewalk Café/Retail and a Pedestrian Plaza – The Pedestrian Plaza portion must by processed through Development Services.
- You have the option to process the Sidewalk portion through your BID, or bundle the Sidewalk portion with the Pedestrian Plaza through Development Services.
For all others proposing Sidewalk Cafes and/or Sidewalk Retail, and ALL Pedestrian Plazas:
- We are currently accepting applications prior to the Ordinance’s effective date here: https://www.sandiego.gov/tob
- When proposing Sidewalk Café/Retail and a Pedestrian Plaza – Please bundle both portions into one drawing. Check both boxes on the Agreement.
- You do not need to submit two separate applications.
- Applications are only accepted through the online portal - Do not drop-off physical applications to Development Services.
If you need assistance applying online:
- Development Services will be hosting a “How to Apply for a TOBO Permit” webinar on Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 10:00 AM Pacific Time.
- A link will be posted on the Temporary Outdoor Business Operation Permit Website, and will be included in a follow-up email.
- The City Council will hear this item tomorrow, Tuesday, July 14th, 2020.
- No Smoking or Vaping is permitted within Sidewalk Cafes, Sidewalk Retail, or Pedestrian Plazas.
- This Program does not apply to locations outside of the City of San Diego.
Temporary Outdoor Business Operation City of San Diego
Development Services Department1222 First Avenue
San Diego CA, 92101
Community is at the heart of everything we do. Our work together today will help ensure the health of Ocean Beach in the days to come.