Since its launch in the summer of 2014, the OB Clean & Safe Program has made an enormous difference in addressing the problems in our area. Our security team patrols in the business districts of OB, particularly Newport Avenue, as well as the Voltaire Street, Dog Beach, and Point Loma Avenue areas. The security team and Ocean Beach MainStreet Association staff work closely with San Diego Police Department to get positive results for the entire community.
After a review and request for proposals in fall 2015, the OBMA Executive Committee set up a temporary contract with a new security company, National Public Safety. NPS has successfully followed our directions and have been intentionally visible and extremely communicative with OBMA members and with our office. They consider their role one of education for bad behaviorists, and they emphasize seeking opportunities to provide helpful information to those who will accept it. Some of their duties include:
- Assisting with crowd control during the Ocean Beach Farmers Market and other large events.
- Serving court papers, such as restraining orders, stay-away orders, or orders to appear in court.
- Responding to calls from merchants about loitering or other issues. NPS officers speak with the potential bad behaviorists, provide information on assistance, and escort them off the property if needed.
- Responding to calls from merchants about public intoxication/drug sales. In these situations, NPS officers advise the person to have someone pick them up; if needed, SDPD is called for assistance.
- Serve as a deterrent to bad behavior, panhandling, and large gatherings blocking the public right of way.
While we continue to look for outside sources to bring in extra capital, we rely on funding from our members and the community to keep this program going. Please consider renewing your contribution or contributing for the first time. Each contribution helps make OB a safe place to live, work, and play.
As a business owner and member of the Ocean Beach MainStreet Association you are invited to join the cause and sign up to help fund the program by completing this form and returning it to the OBMA office.
As a resident or member of the community, if you'd like to make a personal tax deductible donation, please contribute at the project's Fundly page.
Thank you for your participation!