The OB MainStreet Association has launched a new program focused on community safety and beautification. The goal of the Ocean Beach Clean & Safe Program is to prioritize public safety as well as act quickly to eliminate blighted areas and beautify the neighborhood.
Graffiti abatement, regular sidewalk cleaning, solar safety lighting and signage will address the physical aspects of cleanliness and security in the commercial areas, while contracted security personnel and community enhancement volunteers will work together to provide a cleaner, safer environment.
The OB Clean & Safe Program will also partner with local organizations that help homeless individuals achieve a sense of pride and create movement away from negative behavior by providing volunteer opportunities to create and maintain public spaces throughout the community.
The end result is to create a safe and inviting business district that fosters community pride while also supporting economic vitality. A cleaner environment and a security presence will benefit residents, visitors, and businesses alike.
Ways to support the OB Clean & Safe program:
- At the first Farmer's Market of each month, stop by our information booth (in front of Wings) to purchase a ticket for the monthly prize drawing. Win lots of great prizes from our local vendors - flowers, fruits & veggies, gourmet items, and more! Tickets are $2 each or 3 for $5. All proceeds go to the Clean & Safe Program.
- Click here to donate, or come by our office at 1868 Bacon Street.
Our security team patrols in the business districts of OB, particularly Newport Avenue, as well as the Voltaire Street, Dog Beach, and Point Loma Avenue areas. The security team and Ocean Beach MainStreet Association staff work closely with San Diego Police Department to get positive results for the entire community. The Security Team is intentionally visible and extremely communicative with OBMA members and with our office. They consider their role one of education for bad behaviorists, and they emphasize seeking opportunities to provide helpful information to those who will accept it. Some of their duties include:
- Assisting with crowd control during the Ocean Beach Farmers Market and other large events.
- Serving court papers, such as restraining orders, stay-away orders, or orders to appear in court.
- Responding to calls from merchants about loitering or other issues. Security Team officers speak with the potential bad behaviorists, provide information on assistance, and escort them off the property if needed.
- Responding to calls from merchants about public intoxication/drug sales. In these situations, NPS officers advise the person to have someone pick them up; if needed, SDPD is called for assistance.
- Serve as a deterrent to bad behavior, panhandling, and large gatherings blocking the public right of way.
While we continue to look for outside sources to bring in extra capital, we rely on funding from our members and the community to keep this program going. Please consider renewing your contribution or contributing for the first time. Each contribution helps make OB a safe place to live, work, and play.
As a business owner and member of the Ocean Beach MainStreet Association you are invited to join the cause and sign up to help fund the program by completing this form and returning it to the OBMA office.
Thank you for your participation!