Earned Sick Leave and Minimum Wage Ordinance
7 Key Steps to Successful Compliance
- Effective January 1, 2023, provide a minimum wage of no less than $16.30 per hour to employees working within the geographic boundaries of the City of San Diego. Rate applies to all businesses regardless of business size.
- Provide earned sick leave (ESL) through the accrual method (1 hour of ESL for every 30 hours worked) or front-loading method (no less than 40 hours of ESL are awarded at the beginning of the benefit year).
- Provide employees with Employer to Employee Notice that includes the Employer’s requirements per the Ordinance.
- Display notices of earned sick leave & minimum wage where employees can read it easily.
- Keep records of wages paid and accrual and use of earned sick leave for a period of no less than three years.
- On a regular basis provide employees with records detailing wages paid and sick leave earned and used.
- Allow employees to use earned sick leave for reasons outlined in the Ordinance including for their own medical care or for the medical care of a family member.