Join us in celebrating the Ocean Beach Pier’s 50th Anniversary! Our iconic pier opened on July 2, 1966. To mark this special occasion, take a stroll on our beautiful pier and enjoy the incredible views, as well as special activities from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on the pier:
• Pick up a free OB Pier postcard west of the Walking On Water (WOW) Cafe on the pier! Supplies are limited – first come, first served.
• Have your postcard (or any other mail) marked with a Special Pictorial Cancellation by the United States Postal Service. They will have a temporary philatelic station (the “OB Pier 50th Anniversary Station”) west of the Walking On Water (WOW) Cafe on the pier and our custom-designed postmark to mark all mail sent through them that day. Postage stamps will be available for purchase.
• OB Pier 50th Anniversary commemorative merchandise will be available for purchase west of the Walking On Water (WOW) Cafe on the pier.
• Enjoy an historical display exploring the pier’s rich history and fun props to use while snapping a quick photo in front of a life-size backdrop of the pier opening in 1966 west of the Walking On Water (WOW) Cafe on the pier.
• A short ceremony honoring the pier with elected officials will take place at 11:00 a.m. just outside the pier entry gates at the foot of Niagara Avenue. The Ocean Beach Community Foundation will be unveiling a new plaque at that location.
• The two gentlemen featured in our OB Pier oral history video – Leonard Teyssier, the contractor who built the pier, and Chuck Bahde, who served on Peninsulans, Inc., which commissioned the pier – will be on hand from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. to meet community members and answer questions about the pier. They will be west of the Walking On Water (WOW) Cafe on the pier.
Chuck Bahde and Leonard Teyssier (photo by Stephen Rowell)