Update from City of San Diego Temporary Outdoor Business Operation Department
Save the Date – Friday, July 17th at 10:00AM Pacific Time - Development Services will be hosting another “How To Apply for a Temporary Outdoor Business Permit” Webinar
- Follow this link: TOBOP
- You will receive an email with the Webinar’s link approximately 30 minutes before the webinar starts.
If you have not yet applied for a Temporary Outdoor Business Permit:
- Follow the instructions posted here to apply: https://www.sandiego.gov/tob
If you have already applied for a Temporary Outdoor Business Permit:
- If corrections or edits are needed, a DSD Staff Member will be reaching out to you individually.
- If no corrections are needed, a DSD Staff Member will be reaching out to you individually to let you know your permit has been issued.
If your Temporary Outdoor Business Permit has already been Issued:
- Make sure you remember to call for Inspections.
- The phone number for Inspections is located on your application.
For those proposing Parking Lot Uses on Private Property:
- No further action is required from you. Continue to operate per State, County, and City of San Diego guidelines.
- If you propose 50 or more occupants enclosed by a fence or barrier – you must obtain Fire Department Approval.
- If you propose a Temporary Membrane Structure (Tent) of 400 square feet or larger – you must obtain Fire Department Approval.
- Links for Fire Department Approval can be found here: https://www.sandiego.gov/tob
For those proposing Sidewalk Cafes and/or Sidewalk Retail within a Participating Business Improvement District (BID):
- Continue to work with your BID for processing.
- When proposing Sidewalk Café/Retail Only - You have the option to process through Development Services.
- When proposing Sidewalk Café/Retail and a Pedestrian Plaza – The Pedestrian Plaza portion must by processed through Development Services.
- You have the option to process the Sidewalk portion through your BID, or bundle the Sidewalk portion with the Pedestrian Plaza through Development Services.
- No Smoking or Vaping is permitted within Sidewalk Cafes, Sidewalk Retail, or Pedestrian Plazas.
- This Program does not apply to locations outside of the City of San Diego.
- At this time, this program only applies to Eating and Drinking Establishments and Retail Sales.
Temporary Outdoor Business Operation
City of San Diego
Development Services Department
1222 First Avenue
San Diego CA, 92101
Community is at the heart of everything we do. Our work together today will help ensure the health of Ocean Beach in the days to come.