Businesses and Community Leaders Recognized for their Impact in the Ocean Beach Community
Annual Ocean Beach awards brings the community together to celebrate the past year
OCEAN BEACH, Calif. – The Ocean Beach MainStreet Association (OBMA) honored members for their contributions to the Ocean Beach community at its annual Awards Celebration on Thursday, Jan. 25.
"Our annual awards ceremony is a great occasion to reflect on the past year in Ocean Beach and celebrate the accomplishments of our hard-working merchants, who continuously give back to the community," said Denny Knox, executive director of OBMA.
The program highlighted events and accomplishments over the past year with a slideshow.
Each year the OBMA committees award individuals and businesses for their contributions to public improvements, public safety, design, promotion, revitalization and expansion within the community. The OBMA members voted on a People’s Choice winner in each category while the ‘Customer Service Business of the Year’ was chosen by the public through online voting.
Fifty-two businesses/individuals were recognized for their contributions at the event; of those, the following received the People’s Choice for their categories:
• Public Safety Committee:
- San Diego Fire Department Station 15 for their quick response to emergencies, community participation in safety programs, and being true first responders
• Design Committee:
- OB Beans, Coastal Natives, and Wailua Shave Ice for the successful execution of their collective space concept
• Economic Vitality Committee:
- Apple Tree Supermarket for providing a new full-service community supermarket
• Promotion Committee:
- Raglan Public House for offering events and fundraisers to engage the community
• North OB Committee:
- Voltaire Beach House for activating the 4900 block of Voltaire with an exciting new business
• Community Partner Awards:
- Ocean Beach Community Development Corporation for taking on the task of the new Veterans Plaza project to honor veterans
- Point Loma Landscape and Ken Fernandes Landscaping for quietly maintaining the plants at the corner of Newport Ave and Sunset Cliffs Blvd.
- Point Loma Masonic Center for offering the space for the Annual Awards Center
- Union Bank for being the major event sponsor
• Customer Service Business of the Year: These awards go to the businesses that exemplify the spirit of Ocean Beach and reflect a positive awareness and activity in the community through their exceptional customer service.
- 1st Place = James Gang
- 2nd Place = Catrina Russell Real Estate
- 3rd Place = Tranquil Home Personnel Service
OBMA also presented “Pass the Torch Awards” to the following businesses and individuals:
• Julie Klein in appreciation for her many years of service and dedication on behalf of the OB MainStreet Association
• Mary Orem in appreciation for her many years of service with the OB MainStreet Association
• Nati’s Mexican Restaurant for being a dedicated and integral part of the Ocean Beach Community since the 1960s
• Tower 2 for 15 great years in business in the Ocean Beach Community
Two special awards were presented at the annual event. Josh Utley, Intrepid Network, Inc., was presented an award for his tireless dedication to promoting Ocean Beach. Beth Wright also received an award for her exceptional support and volunteerism.
This year the OBMA Board of Directors surprised Knox with the Mike Hardin “Like a Boss” Award in recognition of her four decades of service to OBMA. The annual award is presented to an outstanding member of community who reflects the late Hodad owner’s spirit, generosity and love of Ocean Beach.